Dr. Mausumi Ganguly
ProfessorPh.D. : Gauhati University
Research Interests:Organic Chemistry
Joined the University in Sep 4, 1992
Dr. Mausumi Ganguly is a Professor in the Department of Chemistry, Cotton University. Currently, she is the Dean, Physical, Chemical and
Mathematical Sciences, Cotton University.
She is working on Antifertility compounds of plant origin, traditional medicine inspired drug discovery, identification of therapeutically potent metabolites from medicinal plants and in silico validation of their therapeutic potential. Her area of interest also includes sustainable and controlled drug delivery and endocrine disrupting potential of pesticides and other commercial chemicals.
Undergraduate level: Stereochemistry, Pericyclic reactions, Spectroscopy, Heterocyclic Chemistry, Organic Reaction Mechanism
Postgraduate level: Stereochemistry, Stereoelectronic effects, Organic Synthesis, Retrosynthetic approaches, Spectroscopy, Natural product Chemistry.
Completed: 3 (Three)
Ongoing: 1 (One)
Name of the faculty
Title of the Project
PI or Co PI
Isolation and characterization of potent anti-fertility compounds obtained from a few folklore medicinal plants of North east India and study of their mode of action through molecular mapping and docking analysis
Rs 80.36 Lakh
DBT, Govt of India
|slno||Name of the Project||Name of the Principal Investigator||Name of the Copi||Name of the Funding agency||Type (Government/Non-Government)||Year||Funds sanctioned (INR in lakhs)||Duration of the project|
|1||Isolation and characterization of potent anti-fertility compounds obtained from a few folklore medicinal plants of North east India and study of their mode of action||Dr. Mausumi Ganguly||DBT||Government||2017||49.01||3 years|
Research paper publications till 2021
1. M. Ganguly, J. Hazarika, R. Mahanta, Molecular interactions of chlorpyrifos and its environmental degradation products with human sex hormone?binding globulin: an in silico study, Journal of Applied Toxicology (John Wiley & sons), 39(7), 1002, 2019.
2. M. Ganguly, J. Hazarika, R. Mahanta, A computational insight into the molecular interactions of chlorpyrifos and its degradation products with the human progesterone receptor leading to endocrine disruption Journal of Applied Toxicology (John Wiley & sons), 40(3), 434, 2020.
3. Deepika Pramanik, M. Ganguly, Pectin coated iron oxide nanocomposite - a vehicle for controlled release of curcumin International Journal of Biology and Biomedical Engineering, 11, 143, 2017.
4. M. Ganguly, J. Hazarika, R. Mahanta, B. Keerthi Priya, K.S.R Pai, Effects of Daucus carota seed extract on reproductive hormones and estrous cycles in albino mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research,
10 (5), 2553, 2019.
5. Manoj Sarma, M. Ganguly, Transesterification of Mexican Poppy (Argemone mexicana Linn) Seed Oil for Production of Biodiesel, International Journal of Environment and Bioenergy, 11(2), 113, 2016.
6. Jinamoni Sarma, M. Ganguly, Catalytic activity of Natural Kaolinite clay of Karbi Anglong district of Assam, Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Engg, 5, 1116, 2011.
7. N. Devi, M. Ganguly, Kandarpa Phukan, A mild and useful method for Nacylation of amines, Synthetic Communications, 39, 2694, 2009.
8. M. Ganguly, N. Devi, R. Mahanta, M. Barthakur, Effect of Mimosa pudica root extract on vaginal estrous and serum hormones for screening of antifertility activity in albino mice, Contraception, 76, 482, 2007.
9. M. Ganguly, N. Devi, R. Mahanta, M. Barthakur, Antifertility effect of the Methanolic leaf extract of Cissampelos Pareira in female albino mice, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 111, 688, 2007.
10. M. Ganguly, N. Devi, Friedel-Craft reaction in dry media under microwave irradiation, Indian Journal of Chemistry (Section B), 47B, 153, 2008.
Book publication relating subject/research concerned
Books authored: Six
Conferences attended (National and International): More than twenty
Professional Recognition/ Award/ Prize/ Certificate, Fellowship received:
• National Merit Certificate by Government of India
• State Merit scholarship by Government of Assam
• Jawaharlal Nehru Award by JN Memorial Trust, New Delhi
• Gold Medal (Topper in B. Sc and M.Sc) by Gauhati University
• Junior Research Fellowship – NET by CSIR
Membership of Professional Bodies:
• Life Member Society of Ethnopharmacology
• Life Member Assam Science Society
• Life Member Indian Chemical Society
• Life Member Society of Chemical Education, Assam
• Life Member “Association of Chemistry Teachers”